Dear Community Partners,
As the U.S. Census Bureau Partnership Specialist for Allegheny County, I’m touching base for a few reasons. First, to express shared concern for your health and safety as well as that of your family, friends, neighbors and colleagues. Second, to express gratitude and appreciation for your invaluable commitment to the 2020 Census in Allegheny County. I’m also writing to ensure that you’re aware of recent and important news about the 2020 Census.
To help protect the health and safety of the American public and current Census Bureau employees, to implement guidance from federal, state and local health authorities and to ensure a complete and accurate count of all communities, the Census Bureau has adjusted 2020 Census operations as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Of note, field operations are suspended until April 1, 2020. Also, for rural municipalities and areas where residents receive their U.S. mail via a P.O. Box, Census takers will now drop off invitations to respond to the 2020 Census at front doors between March 29 – May 1. The Census Bureau is also adding two weeks to the deadline for counting everyone in the U.S. from July 31 to August 14. Should the Census Bureau make any additional adjustments to the 2020 Census operation, we will communicate those changes broadly and promptly. If you’d like to learn more about this update or to sign up to receive future 2020 Census news, please visit our newsroom.
We understand that this is a difficult and stressful time for everyone. Given our collective circumstance, we are asking for your help in reminding your residents that the 2020 Census has begun and that we all benefit when we respond to the Census. As you know, over the next decade, local, state and federal governments will use Census data to make critical decisions about funding needed for health care, education, emergency services, and more—decisions that impact us all. Our responses to the 2020 Census will help shape the future of our community.
Here are a few ways your municipality can help promote participation in the 2020 Census:
- Encourage Early Self-Response: It has never been easier to respond on your own, whether online, over the phone or by mail—all without having to meet a Census enumerator:
- 2020 Census survey (online http://www.
- By phone, every day from 7:00 a.m. – 2:00 a.m. Eastern Time
- English: 844-330-2020
- Other language support helplines
- TDD helpline: 844-467-2020
- General information on mailings
- Important Dates & Timeline
- Accessibility Fact Sheet
- LARGE-PRINT Guide
- Braille Language Guide
- Post on Social: Post reminders on your social media channels that the 2020 Census has begun and folks can respond online or by phone, or, complete and return the paper form, if they've received it via U.S. Mail. Here are some key resources to help:
- Winter 2020 Partnership Social Media Guide (PowerPoint w/key message/ talking points/digital assets)
- 2020Census.gov Partnership Page
- Community Benefits Tool Kit
- Census Bureau YouTube Channel: a collection of 2020 Census videos
- Follow, like, love, and share the Census Bureau’s social media accounts:
- Commit to helping with the MQA program: Your continued partnership is vital to ensure a complete and accurate count in Allegheny County,. Once 2020 Census returns to normal field operations, we will launch a Mobile Questionnaire Assistance program. This program will target areas with low response rates and entail Census representatives visiting places people congregate in the community, e.g., grocery stores, churches, community festivals, public transit hubs and libraries to assist fellow citizens in completing the 2020 Census survey with privacy, security, and confidentiality—hallmarks of the 2020 Census operations.
If your municipality plans to host a community event in the coming months or if you know of an event hosted by others in your community, please e-mail me the details to ensure the event is on our MQA program calendar for consideration when operations return to normal.
I thank you, our invaluable Partners, for all your efforts in support of the 2020 Census. I look forward to continuing our work together to help ensure a complete count in Allegheny County,. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
With best wishes for good health to you and your family,
Jeanine McCreary | 412-979-1626